of Academic Honesty of Teachers and Students at University of Almaty
The Code of Academic Honesty of Teachers and Students (hereinafter the Code) was developed in accordance with the Law “On Countering Corruption”, the Law “On Education”, regulatory documents of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan, the Charter of University of Almaty (hereinafter the University) and establishes the principles of Academic Honesty in the University process.
The purpose of this Code is to establish fair and open relations at the University between all subjects of the educational process (students, teachers, administration, technical staff and others).
Academic Honesty is a set of values and principles, establishing norms of behavior between all subjects of the educational process and instilling in them intolerance to any corruption manifestations in view of the significance of the University’s role in educating and shaping the future personality.
Types of Academic Honesty violations:
- Plagiarism – the publication of someone else’s work under his own name, violation of copyright, as determined by the current legislation of the Republic of Kazakhstan
- Deliberate misrepresentation / substitution of information or data (submission of a fake medical certificate; unauthorized access to the database of students’ learning achievements; forging educational documents, data and report results; forging grades and signatures in electronic and paper reading books; correcting grades in papers and documents of all levels);
- Cheating – the use of any means prohibited to use in the process of writing independent work (cribs, electronic and other means; verbal prompts);
- Performing work for the student and the subsequent delivery of work to students as their own;
- Intentional non-participation in collective work in the performance of collective tasks;
- Corruption actions, bribing for getting the right answers, assessments for money;
- Any action or behavior reasonably assessed by a teacher, laboratory technician or tutor, as aimed at disrupting a class (counseling), an attempt to prevent others from doing the work. This includes, inter alia, tearing pages from library books, intentionally damaging other people’s experimental (laboratory) works;
- Impersonation of another person in order to obtain Academic benefits during exams, tests, laboratory work or other tasks;
- Publication, distribution or disclosure of confidential information to third parties without prior agreement. Confidential information includes Academic information, data and documents that have been collected and stored on a non-public basis;
- Violation of labor discipline and corporate ethics by the faculty of the university, as well as corruption actions punishable under the laws of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
The Principles of Academic Honesty
- The students must:
- Comply with the obligations stipulated in the contract for the provision of educational services;
- Do not violate academic discipline (do not miss classes without a reason; do not be late for classes);
- Independently perform all types of work (practical tasks, coursework, final works, etc.) and provide them to the teacher in time in accordance with the task issued;
- Do not write off or use cheat sheets during the performance of tasks of various types of control: current, interim, final;
- Use various sources in the performance of work, both educational and research, with the indication of the author at the end of the work, as well as with the list the sources used; use reliable sources of information;
- Do not give the work for cheating to other students;
- Do not submit someone else’s work for his/her own;
- Do not violate the discipline during the educational process, do not distract other students from perception of the material;
- Do not use personal, family or business connections, do not offer bribes to teachers and administrations to obtain privileges in schooling compared to other students;
- Prevent unauthorized access to confidential information for academic benefits.
- The teachers must:
- Use all the possibilities and ways for students to accept the values of Academic Honesty, regularly remind the students about them, strictly observe these principles themselves;
- Timely and efficiently develop teaching materials, place all educational materials in the electronic library of the university;
- Conduct classes using new modern forms of education; time to check the work of students and bring estimates to them.
- Continuously improve their professional qualifications, skills and abilities;
- Prevent plagiarism, both in the works of students, and in their teaching and research activities; in the development of educational, educational and methodical works; When writing research articles, they should indicate references to sources and provide a list of references at the end of the work;
- Develop students’ skills in searching and analyzing sources, advising students on the use of modern requirements for the design of references and bibliography.
- Works performed in violation of the principles of Academic Honesty cannot be evaluated and must be redone (or a similar task is received and performed) within the time limits set by the teacher. Score for the converted work is reduced. In case of late delivery of reworked task, in case of delay without a valid reason, an unsatisfactory rating is given to the work. With repeated and subsequent violations of the principles of Academic Honesty, the opportunity to rewrite the work is not available.
- In case of non-observance of Academic Honesty in the exam or during the current and midterm control, the student is given an unsatisfactory grade.
- Participants in the educational process bear moral and disciplinary (in some cases criminal) responsibility for violating the principles of Academic Honesty.
- Works that have violated the principles of Academic Honesty should not be accepted or evaluated.
- In case of violation of the Code, the following disciplinary measures may be applied to participants of the educational process:
- Severe reprimand;
- Exclusion / dismissal from university.
This Code comes into effect from the moment it is approved at the University Academic Council and is valid until the adoption of the new Code.
The Code of Academic Honesty of Teachers and Students of University of Almaty has been developed by:
- Nurlikhina G.B. – Vice Rector of Teaching and Guiding Department;
- Amangalieva S.T. – Vice-rector of Educational Department;
- Kaliyeva G.K. – Head of QMS;
- Batyrbay N.M. – Dean of the “School of Economics and Law”
- Makhmutov B.L.- Dean of the “School of Pedagogy”
- Nishanbayeva S. – Head of the Registration Department;
- Manzhibaeva Zh.A.- Head of the Department of the Educational Process Organization
- Rakhmanova N.M.- Head of the Educational and Methodological Board.